Introduction
Unless you're in the top 1% of writers in the world, it's a pretty thankless profession most of the time.
You can go days, weeks, months even - without a single person asking how you're doing, cheering you on, or sharing their excitement about your upcoming work - and that's a huge shame.
If you could only hear the reasons some people become writers, and what noble intentions they have for themselves and others - you'd have a lot more compassion, respect, and gratitude for them.
I asked this question to a collection of friends and strangers on social media a while ago, just to prove this point, and I received some inspiring responses in return.
"What kind of writer are you striving to become?"
"I want to be a writer that makes people laugh and cry, the kind that inspires. I want to create characters people hate so much and characters people love so much." +maida lemu
"I want to engage my readers and make them glad that they bought my book. To continue to learn and sharpen my writing tools. I also what to build community by promoting and sharing with my fellow authors." +Leanne Dyck
"Successful, by which I mean the kind of author who, when a reader sees their name they say, 'Oh wow! They've got a new book out, I have to read that!'" +Peter Whitaker
"I'd like to be a writer that engages and entertains. I would like readers to be excited and anticipating my next book." +Vashti Q-Vega
"I want people to be able to escape and relax through my books, immersing themselves into my characters. On the other front I want to have the courage to see this path through the end. The best writer that I can be." +Amanda Staley
"I want to help people think, and reflect, and consider, and appreciate the beautiful, magical place we live in." +Zenobia Southcombe
"I'd love people to go looking for my books." +Christine Campbell
"I want to be the type of writer who creates such a meticulous world and characters within these worlds, that the readers become the characters themselves. They can feel the hurt, the pain, the joy and the experiences that the characters just through reading the words that I strung along. And I want to create such stories that break people's heart and at the same time love the story so much. And of course, an unforgettable and unpredictable ending." +Aparna Gopalakrishnan
"I would like to be published, engaging and have readers seek out my writings, and so on. my dream book...I would love to write a book on natural energies one that when you read that last bit and close the back cover, your life will never be the same." +Mary Willoughby
"I want to be the type of writer who writes for the love of writing not for what publishers deem sellable or to get the most readers and money." +Scarlett Van Dijk
"I'd like to be seen as a versatile writer. Someone who writes something for everyone." +Ann Bisky
A published one who can't be pinned with one genre." +Challa Fletcher
"One whose words invoke deep thoughts and feelings..." +SereneNSassy Soul
"That specific writer that can write about anything with anything." +Chadwick Engler
"A frequently read one." +richard erickson
"The kind of writer whose books people can't wait to read." +Brooke Johnson
"The kind of writer who offers new ideas and inspires creativity." +Hannah Vogel
A helpful one -- the kind that changes your perspective. +Amy Knepper
"One that's better than the writer I am now." +Eduardo Suastegui
"A writer with a unique voice and a unique world view. I don't have to be a bestseller but it would be cool to have cult following or to be "discovered" long after I'm dead :-)" +James Michael Larranaga
"I hope to make people think. To inspire as well as entertain. And yes, make money." +Vanessa MacLellan
"I want my stories to challenge readers conceptions about certain social situations. And no, I don't expect to make any money ;-)" +E.S. Piteau
"I want to write YA that isn't trashy, has good moral themes, a point to make, and treats the readers like they're actually intelligent." +Nicole Sanders
And finally: "I strive to be the best version of myself." +Hilary Lesch
Conclusion
You might not have been thanked for what you do for this world lately, whole writer, so I want to make it my personal duty to say "thank you". I have heard you. I see you. Keep going.
What kind of writer you are striving to become? Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:
Post a Comment